Saturday 10 March 2018

Gangs of Rome


After frantically painting up a load of Gangs of Rome miniatures (still not 100% finished) and building a load of MDF terrain freshly ordered from sarissa precision, I was ready to put on a couple of games at my local club.

As these would be quick introduction games I shuffled all the fighter cards I had and dealt out 4 fighters to both my opponent (Alex) and I.

We totted up the points and then added enough denarii to make a round 100 points. 

First game was to be the tribute to Mars scenario with six mobs to roam around the streets of downtown Rome.


Both Alex and I deployed our fighters and we slowly edged towards each other. Alex sent one of his fighters up onto the balcony over the trade block building whilst I sent one of mine over towards the scaffold to counter his move.


Our other fighters came into contact and proceeded to batter and bludgeon each other. I tried to throw a Heavy Pilum at one of Alex's gang but he deftly dodged the missile.


I soon took out of of Alex's gang with a Brutal Cleaver and picked up the coin tribute. Both gangs continued to battle around the slave cage and I soon gained the upper hand, picking off a few opposing fighters. With no opposition, my fighter with the tribute managed to lay it at the foot of the statue of Mars.







During the fight the mobs of Rome mainly stood and watched or ran away in panic. They really didnt have much baring on the game.

Second game we played the home fires burning scenario but kept the same terrain making the game in the game. We used the wind rule to affect range attacks and kept the mobs. 



We diced off and I became the attacker with Alex the defender. I deployed my gang on the board edge and Alex deployed around and inside the central villa. With the first activation Alex let loose with a short bow and the winds were definitely in his favour as the arrow whistled true and struck one of my fighters and caused 3 wounds.


Another acivation from Alex and a second fighter with a bow, this time though the winds still in favour but less damage. My fighter was still on her feet but seriously hurt.



Bursting forward my gang ran towards the villa and managed to start a fire against the front wall. However Alex surged his gang outside of the building and managed to quench the fire. The combat passed back and forth and a few of my gang fell to the arrows and blades of the defenders. 


I managed to set another fire and it raged for a while but in the end Alex manoeuvred his gang well, quenching the fire and causing more hurt on my gang.


Not being able to destroy the villa with fire and my gang suffering from lack of numbers I had to retire from the streets, leaving Alex victorious.



So two great games and a win each. Cant wait to get my buildings painted up, models based properly and to get more games in.























4 comments:

  1. Looks good. What role do the mobs play in the game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mobs are part of the city and move on a dice roll at the beginning of a turn. Fighters can blend into a mob during their activation (a bit like assassins creed into crowds)They can also react to fighters/melee combat - they can panic and run away, do nothing or rage against the fighters and attack them.

      Delete
  2. Nice report mate. Its looking good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. Looking forward to getting a few more buildings and getting them painted up.

      Delete